Tuesday, November 20, 2012

eoc week seven "the pitch" final project


                                          Beer Buddy Pork Rinds
                   The salty, spicy, pork snack, that brings the flair of flavors from Mexico, into your hand.
                   
                                                       The Food
                    The salty, spicy snack, that brings the adventures flavors from Mexico in your hand.
       
                                                 " You'll be licking our bottom",
                                                               of our bag
        A leftover and remnant of the colonization of Spain, Mexico is one of the world's largest producers and consumers of pork rinds, known as chicharrón or cuerito. As in Spain, the chicharrón is the rind with fat still attached.
Cueritos are easily available in Mexico as an antojo and are sold on the streets by vendors. It is usually served with a Chile salsa and lime as well as salt.

                                                      The flavor
            Our pork rind comes with different flavors including a cilantro, lime, jalapeno, and our most popular Mole' flavored, a mixture of chili peppers, spices with a Mexican chocolate creating a dark, rich, spicy and slightly sweet snack.
                                                          The Adventure   
             A few years ago, drinking in a bar, close to a beach, somewhere in Mexico, with a cold beer in hand, toes in the sand, and the taste of salt in my mouth. Tired of the same , old chips and salsa, I craved something different to satisfies my hunger, of something salty,spicy and tangy. With a buzz in me head and flip-flops on my feet, I'm off to find what I crave, one bar at a time. After a few cerveza's; that's beer in Spanish, and few shots of tequila to chase, and hand print across my face; my Spanish is really bad, and she was really hot....." I think". Waking up in a back alley; with my clothes on, thank god, I've done a lot worse with a lot of less alcohol inside of me, a smell comes across my nose. A smell of oil, and not that healthy oil like, peanut, olive, or sunflower oil, but the smell of menteca; that's lard in Spanish, that's two words, in Spanish in know. With a crooked smile on my face, beer in hand; never spilled a drop while I was passed out, There stands a old Mexican woman, no taller than a jockey, not as dark as a raisin, but just as wrinkle. Stirring with a wooden spoon in the bottomn cut of an oil drum, sits a couple of hundred of small, puffed, slightly brown treat, swimming in hot melted lard. Hungry and buzzed with anticipation; as a  liquid starts to slides out of the side of my mouth. As I approached this tiny goddess, a smile emerges from the layers of leather skin with teeth that can be numbered on one hand. I asked what she was cooking; there was someone to translate for me."It's skin from a pig"  the translator tells me. Now i was ready to stumble away from that back alley, but I was hungry. Pork skin, why would you eat something that is used probably for shoes, and catchers mitts, but I was hungry, and dying to try something new, so I asked for some. In a small plastic bag, there some cooked pork skin, a couple of limes, and a small bag of chili spices to mix with pork skins. I dust the pork skins with the spices, squeeze the tart/tangy juices of the lime, twist the plastic bag, and shake, as I open the bag, small vapors of this delectable treat curve into my soul through my nose. I bite into my first cooked pork skin: they dissolve into my mouth leaving the saltiness I crave, but with a profound of heat and tartness. I consumed the bag within seconds, and asking for more: I asked my translator what these devilish treats were called; Chicharron. Did I mention my translator was a women, and she was the one who left her hand print on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment